Baked Potato Soup… YUM!
When I woke up yesterday morning it was 9 degrees. 9! So I decided it was a great day for soup! I posted a pic on the website and got hit up with a ton of requests for the recipe so here it is!
I love the slow cooker soups, and this recipe makes a TON, so you can freeze it, or feed a big crowd. A Warning, if you do plan to freeze this soup, do NOT use glass jars. I have destroyed 6 or 7 mason jars trying to freeze this soup. Even when I left a ton of room for expansion, it has shattered the jar. I know use either a plastic tupperware, or a ziplock freezer bag. Again, leave PLENTY of room for expansion.
I originally got this from mamalovesfood.com. This is NOT a low calorie food but I have made some tweaks to make it healthiER. Even with these changes, it is delish! Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Ingredients:
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into cubes
- 1 medium/large yellow onion, diced
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- 64 ounces (8 cups) low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened (I normally use low fat)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon seasoned salt (I use a very low sodium chicken stock, the original recipe just calls for 1 Tbs. but with the low sodium broth, I find it needs a little more for my tastes.)
- optional garnishes: crumbled bacon, shredded cheese (I use either a sharp cheddar, or grated Pecorino Romano for a different, but fantastic flavor), green onions
Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Directions:
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning, and chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Add the softened cream cheese, one brick at a time and puree soup with an immersion blender until the cheese is incorporated. I scoop out about 1/3 of the potato chunks before pureeing then add them back in afterwards so that there are bites of potato in the finished soup. (Alternately you could remove half the soup and the cream cheese to an upright blender, then re-incorporate).
- Stir well, top with your choice of garnishes & enjoy!